Week #3
"The relation between superiors and inferiors is like that between the wind and the grass. The grass must bend when the wind blows across it"
The Chapter that most interested me was Chapter 4. I have always been interested in learning about different religions and how they came to be what they are now. I found it interesting that Confucius came to existence, or should I say popularized, by his students collecting his teachings in a short book called the Analects. He believed the answer to China's problems was unequal relationships and how higher authority interacts with those of lower class. Confucius emphasized the importance of a high authority figure portraying genuine concern for the inferior party.
This stood out to me because it shows that all humans have the capacity for improvement. In out book I read about "Ren". It is translated to mean human-heartedness, benevolence, goodness and nobility of the heart. With this, it would be the important ingredient of a tranquil society. For myself, I do my best work when I know there there's some common grounds of respect. I don't think people who are constantly mistreated perform to their best capabilities. With a set ritual and common ground, I believe someone can prosper.
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.