Saturday, June 27, 2015

Blog #6

Blog #6

We are entering week 7 of this class! WHOHOOO!!!!!
Celebrating, not because I'm excited to end the class, but because I'm surviving. This class has become one of the more challenging courses here at NDNU. The readings, the blogging, and the amount of work we're accountable for. It's been a challenge, a rewarding challenge. All in all, this class has taught me plenty. Not just a different spin on world history, but about organization...and obscure berries. 

I decided to step away from the reading and blog about out last class. We had to debate on the topic of the Caribbean community. I thoroughly enjoyed this group activity. I realized my stance on it was always pro. Yes, they should receive a formal apology. Yes, they should have a cultural institute and yes, they should have a technology transfer. After hearing everyone's opinion, I started to agree with the "no's". At what point do we begin? At what point to we end? How much of a backpedal can a society withstand. 

My topic was a cultural institute for the Caribbean people. We started out with the question,"why should they have to pay for something they were stripped of"  Their force made them assimilate to a new culture, that eventually washed out their own. It would be acknowledging something wrong did happen, and making it right. We decided that this should be granted. Culture determines your place in the world. Where you come from and who you are. With this institute, we can learn who they were and what happened to them ... and essential where they are now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment